From today, the popular Nectar smartphone app, which has had over 1 million downloads since launch, will offer collectors the chance to take advantage of personalised reminders of Nectar offers when they are out and about.
The introduction of location based technology will mean that users of the app can choose to be reminded about their “live” offers when they’re in the vicinity of a Nectar partner such as Sainsbury’s or Homebase.
Nectar will use cell tower and WiFi navigation technology to help pinpoint the Nectar collector, providing a simple pop-up message when they’re close to partners they’ve opted to receive messages about. Collectors have control over how they would like to use the service choosing the time of day, frequency and distance from the partner that they would like to receive the alerts.
The addition of this service follows feedback from collectors who highlighted that they often forget about offers when they’re out shopping.
James Frost, Nectar Marketing Director, said: “This latest development is intended to provide a helpful service allowing collectors to take advantage of more offers. We’ve taken on board lots of feedback from collectors to ensure that the service can be configured in a way that they are comfortable with.
“After the successful take-up of the Nectar app we’re confident that this innovation will be positively received.”
The Nectar app with added location based functionality is available for free from the Android Market now and the Apple App Store from the end of November. Existing users will need to download the update from the appropriate app store.
Notes to Editors:
Features of the Nectar App:
- Exclusive and personalised Nectar points offers relevant to the individual collector
- Ability to collect points at over 500 online retailers via Nectar eShops
- A store and reward locator to pinpoint the nearest location to collect and spend points
- Highlights of all the Nectar Daily Deals (with up to 70% off some deals)
- Instant access to check Nectar points balances on-the-go
- Search and collect capabilities with Yahoo!
- Location Based deal reminders