Nectar, the UK’s largest loyalty programme and
Virgin Trains have announced an exciting new partnership giving rail passengers
the opportunity to collect Nectar points when booking tickets online at
virgintrains.com from 12 August 2014.
Virgin Trains operates the West Coast mainline which runs from London to Manchester, Liverpool and Scotland. The new partnership will see Nectar’s 19 million customers receive 2 Nectar points for every £1 spent on tickets purchased on the Virgin Trains website, whether on desktop, mobile or the Virgin Trains app.
Virgin Trains' customers who book online will be asked to enter their Nectar card number at ‘checkout’ to receive points on their ticket purchase. Around 31.9 million journeys a year are made with Virgin Trains, providing even more opportunities for Nectar cardholders to collect points as they travel for either business or leisure.
Will Shuckburgh, Nectar Managing Director said; “Bringing Virgin Trains on board is fantastic news for Nectar as we continue to add big brand, household names to the coalition. Thousands of Nectar cardholders travel on Virgin Trains each and every day, so this exciting addition to the programme is guaranteed to make their trips around the UK even more rewarding.”
Graham Leech, Executive Commercial Director at Virgin Trains said: “On top of our great value fares, we are delighted to be partnering with Nectar to offer our customers an even bigger reward for choosing us.”
To mark the launch of this exciting partnership, a double points offer will run for two months from 12 August 2014. During this time, customers will be able to collect 4 Nectar points for every £1 spent when booking tickets online.
Rail users who are not currently Nectar
cardholders can apply for a Nectar card via the Nectar website (Nectar.com) or by collecting a registration pack at
any Sainsbury’s or Homebase store.
For more press information, interviews or images please contact the Nectar PR team on Nectar.email@example.com / 020 7479 0910
Notes to Editors:
Terms & Conditions
1. Collect 2 points for every £1 spent on Virgin Trains’ tickets bought online through virgintrains.com (desktop website & mobile website.) From September 2014, you’ll also be able to collect points using the Virgin Trains’ app.)
2. All journeys where a customer travels on a Virgin Trains’ service (whether for the whole journey or just part of it) are eligible for Nectar points. So, a journey on a Virgin Trains’ service between London and Manchester would receive points, as would a journey including travel on a Virgin Train between London and St Helens Central.
3. At present season tickets can’t be purchased online and are therefore not eligible for Nectar points.
4. To collect points you must enter the last 11 digits of your Nectar card number at check out on virgintrains.com
5. Incorrect or invalid Nectar cards or Nectar card numbers will not be awarded points. Customers are responsible for ensuring the number entered is correct.
6. Points will appear on the account within 28 days of buying your tickets.
7. In the case of a refund the awarded Nectar points will be deducted from the Nectar account within 28 days of the refund. Where a change is made to your booking, the points collected will be increased or reduced based on the final transaction amount.
8. Points cannot currently be redeemed on virgintrains.com.
9. Points cannot be collected on any element of a transaction which is paid for by redeeming a National Rail Travel voucher.
Virgin Trains reserves the right to:
- Withdraw at any time any Nectar points that were granted in the case of any fraudulent activity or in error
- Withhold or delay issuing Nectar points
- Change these terms at any time
Nectar, the United Kingdom’s leading coalition loyalty programme, is owned by Aimia, a global leader in loyalty management.
In 2012, Nectar celebrated 10 years of rewarding British shoppers and has given back £2billion of rewards to collectors, including money off shopping, travel, days out and cinema tickets.
19 million collectors earn Nectar points when shopping for groceries, doing DIY, booking a holiday, paying household bills, buying petrol and even getting their car serviced. Collectors also earn Nectar points every time they shop online via nectar.com at over 500 leading online retailers.
Nectar was awarded the “Best card-based loyalty programme” at the 2012 and 2013 Loyalty Awards for Europe and the Middle East.
For more information about Nectar, please visit: www.nectar.com.